What are the licensure requirements to become a professional boxing, kickboxing and mixed martial arts participant?
No person shall act as a professional fighter (participant) in any boxing, kickboxing or mixed martial arts event without having first obtained a participant license. To obtain a license, a participant must:
• Submit an application for licensure along with an application fee of $25.00
• Be 18 years or older
• Not have been convicted of a crime of moral turpitude within the past 10 years.
• Prior to participating in a boxing, Muay Thai match, each pro debut participant must complete a pro debut form and provide proof of at least five amateur fights.
What are the medical requirements for a professional boxing, kickboxing and mixed participant?
- A participant must pass a pre-match physical
- Negative hepatitis B surface antigen test performed within the last year
- Negative hepatitis C performed within the last year performed within the last year
- Negative HIV test performed within the last year.
- Dilated eye examination performed by an Ophthalmologist or Optometrist)
- Female fighters are required to provide a negative pregnancy test performed within the last 30 days.
- In addition to the above, participants over 40 are required to provide a normal EKG performed within the last year, a normal MRI of the brain performed within the last year, a physical exam and a letter from the physician stating that the participant is physically fit to compete.
Can I obtain a boxing, kickboxing and mixed martial arts license at the weigh-in?
You may obtain a license at the weigh-in as long as you provide the required documents and meet the medical requirements.
Is there a penalty for being late to the weigh-in at a professional boxing, kickboxing and mixed martial arts event?
The Commission representative may issue a citation to any fighter arriving more than one-half hour late to a weigh-in.
How often do I reapply to the Florida State Boxing Commission for my license?
All licenses expire each year on December 31st. You are required to submit a new application, any required documents and fee to the Commission office.